- This event has passed.
iCan Bike Camp
August 15 - August 19Free
Monday, August 15 – Friday, August 19
75-minute time slots 8:30am-4:50pm
SOMI Unified Sports & Inclusion Center
Join us August 15-19th for the return of iCan Bike Camp, a week-long program in partnership with iCan Shine that teaches children with disabilities how to ride a two-wheeled bicycle. The camp is offered every other summer to DSAWM members and West Michigan children with disabilities.
Due to limited space, registration is reserved April 11-17th for active DSAWM members first, with priority for first-time participants. Participation is guaranteed for the first 20 registrants. An additional 20 spots may open up depending on location. If we are able to find a location that can accommodate 40 riders, we will fill in those additional 20 spots in order of registration submission. Non-members with disabilities will be filled into any open spots on a first come, first served basis beginning Monday, April 18th.
iCan Bike Camp is one of our most time consuming and volunteer intensive programs of the year. Because of this, and because space is so limited, it’s important that all riders commit to attending all 5 days of camp. Please note there is a cost for all participants this year and requirements that each rider must meet.
- First-time riders (active DSAWM member) – $25 deposit that will be returned when the rider completes camp
- Returning riders (active DSAWM member) – $100 (nonrefundable)
- Non-member riders – $200 (nonrefundable)
Scholarships are available to families who demonstrate need. Please contact email@example.com or 616-956-3488 to request a scholarship.
Requirements for Participation (rider must meet all of below criteria):
- Minimum age – 8 years old
- Able to sidestep to both sides
- Have a disability
- Able to attend camp all 5 days
- Able to walk without assistive device
- Maximum weight 220 lbs.
- Willing and able to wear a properly fitted bike helmet
- Minimum inseam of 20” (measure from floor while rider is wearing sneakers)
If you have any questions, please contact Program Director Nate Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org.